For those out there who use Twitter, we have now installed a WordPress plugin to allow for your Twitter feed to be added to the sidebar of your blog. The steps to set this up, unfortunately, are a little complicated. Most of it involves changes in your Twitter account itself. Here are the steps:
- From your blog Dashboard, go to Appearance -> Widgets.
- Drag the ‘Really Simple Twitter’ Widget to somewhere on your list of ‘Primary Widget Area’ widgets. A big screen of options and fields will appear:
- Click on the link at the top for ‘creating your Twitter Application’.
- You will be prompted to log into your Twitter account.
- Once you are logged in, you should have an option to ‘Create a New Application’. Click on that.
- Fill out the form, and submit it. What you name your application doesn’t matter at all.
- Once you’ve created your Twitter application, look for the fields labeled ‘consumer key’ and ‘consumer secret’. Copy-paste these into your WordPress plugin settings.
- Click on ‘Create My Access Token’ at the bottom of the page to have your Twitter application generate the ‘access token’ and ‘access token secret’ fields. Copy-paste these into your WordPress plugin settings.
- Finally, fill in your Twitter username in the plugin settings, and save the widget. When you view your blog, your Twitter feed should now appear!