App Resources

In my initial search for online resources/ apps I was really looking for new sites that I hadn’t seen or used before. I wanted them to be useful in a wide range of subjects not just one specific. The first site I ran into was wonderopolis.org. This is a free website for children and adults alike. It is an informational site with lots to offer.  The website is based on “how” questions. With all of the wonders our students may have this site takes the answers to the next level. There are categories divided into most recent, most popular, a complete wonder list, and of course a search bar to find a specific wonder you might have. Some wonders I will list that I came across were: how did dinosaurs become extinct?, who invented numbers?, how is a baseball made? The wonders are accompanied with a video that details each question. I recommend this site for all ages. It will keep students engaged and is also nice when it comes to breaking up your lesson and holding a classes attention on a topic.

https://wonderopolis.org/

The next site I found is subject specific towards science. I went the science route because I found that our current curriculum is lacking within that area. I really wanted to find a site that could really help when it came to teaching an entire science lesson.  The website I chose for science is called Mystery Science. I came to know this website recently (I had no idea our school had this). Our school currently has access to this sight and I hope to use it soon within my classroom. Mystery Science uses the NGSS standards and is for grades k-5. I specifically looked into all that was available in the kindergarten classroom.  This site offers full lessons as well as mini lessons. Some of the mini lessons actually come from questions that real students have who are curious about science. Each lesson and activity has a time range given as well as extra activities and periods for them. There is a supply list for each activity. In addition, there are videos that go along with the lessons and activities. This was great to me because if we were pressed for time we could watch an activity or experiment instead of conducting it ourselves. The site was developed by a teacher/ science department head and a tech website developer/ Facebook product manager. It is easy to navigate and has many resources. The site does cost and you need a subscription to use it. I   would definitely recommend it to fellow educators and parents.

https://mysteryscience.com/r1

The third website I found is for math. I went the math route because I found our math curriculum to be a little dry. I wanted to find an engaging website that my kids would have fun using and learn at the same time.

The website I chose is Mathseeds.  Mathseeds is primarily used for ages 3-9.  It uses the standards that are required for students within the 3-9 age range. The site starts with the very basics of math. Learning levels increase as the students’ knowledge base grows. It is game based but not in the way that some sites are. The games are all math as opposed to a little math and a lot of play. Lessons can be repeated as many times as needed to support the student.  Children can progress at their own level and parents can have access to the “dashboard” and see how their child is doing. The challenge increases as the students learn more. I have found Mathseeds to be a great tool to engage students in math. It increases the “want” to do math and students find it so fun they don’t even realize they are “learning”. The site is very easy to navigate for adults and children. Teachers and educators developed Mathseeds and new content is added every couple of months. You have to have a subscription and pay to use Mathseeds. Once you have a subscription, your students’ progress is saved. I would recommend Mathseeds to educators and parents alike. It starts with foundational skills and builds them as the child learns.

https://mathseeds.com/