My Professional Learning Community

Welcome to my blog – I am excited to share my thoughts and experiences with you!  As a full-time student pursuing my MAT degree while working as a substitute high school teacher, I know first-hand how daunting it can be to balance creative, inspired lessons while making sure the content is meeting required standards.  This is why curating a Professional Learning Network (PLN) that keeps one up to date with new trends, while providing support, knowledgeable subject matter, and inspiration is so important. As a student, I don’t have the extra funds to pay a yearly membership fee, so I am sharing my favorite organizations that do not charge to access their resources:  Teaching Channel, education.abc.net.au, and Teachers Pay Teachers.

Teaching Channel

I have found Teaching Channel to be an invaluable asset as I begin to create lesson plans and look for creative ways to add technology to my classroom. Teaching Channel is an online community of over one million teachers.  The content includes more than 1200 videos, lesson plans, blogs, a question & answer page, and even continuing educational/professional development courses. The attached video on creating digital stories can assist teachers to incorporate multi-media into a lesson. Through incorporating technology into lesson planning, students become more involved in their learning which can lead to better comprehension of the subject matter.

https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/create-digital-story-ypp

Australian Broadcasting Company

As a substitute teacher, I never know what subject matter I will be teaching on a given day.  Having a resource with multiple subject matters which is age appropriate and that I can access from any classroom is crucial to my success.   Education.abc.net.au offers the flexibility of accessing games, videos, and programs that students love while teachers can have confidence the material is age and content appropriate.  This video on using maths to understand the universe is engaging for high school students while applying math to real-world scenarios. As a new teacher, I appreciate the viewing questions and follow-up assignments that are attached to the video, which assist in creating a meaningful lesson plan.

http://education.abc.net.au/home#!/media/2660841/using-maths-to-understand-the-universe

Teachers Pay Teachers

Teachers Pay Teachers is a website where teachers post lesson plans and resources for other teachers to access.  You will need to sign up for a free account to access content. Not all content on Teachers Pay Teachers is free, but rest assured that if you do purchase content, your money is well spent supporting fellow teachers.  In order to make a purchase from Teachers Pay Teachers, you will need a  account. My favorite way to keep an eye on new content is through their Pinterest posts – here’s the link: