browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Screencasting

Posted by on June 16, 2018

My screencast is an introduction to the Civil Rights Movement. This is a unit lesson that is for 8th grade students and can also be used again in high school for US History.  This is a lesson in my four week unit that I developed for students to help them create a visual tool to better understand and comprehend the Civil Rights Movement and the time frame that fell within it.  Its going to be a lesson that we will build on over the course of the weeks so that one day each week, students will be adding to their timeline (infograph) and then present them at the end of the four week lesson.  It will also allow students to reference historic events that are relevant to a date in time of our nations history.

One of the lessons within the four week unit is on non-violent protesting. This screencast gives students examples on what non-violent protesting along with great examples to correlate with the concept. Often times, many individuals respond to the Civil Rights Movement of being a very violent time on our history when in fact that was not always the case. The video also provides examples of strategies that were used in mass protest but in a non-violent fashion. I plan on using this video as an in class assignment and develop a worksheet to go along with it that will require students to watch the video and answer questions. The reason this will need to be an in class assignment is because not all of my students will have access to computers/internet outside of school.  I also want to be able to have a small group discussions after viewing the screencast and I want to be able to recenter the lesson by conducting a large group discussion as well as a closure to the non-violent protesting segment of the unit.

As the unit lesson continues my students will be learning about the Civil Rights Act of 1964. I want my students to watch the screencast as a sample video in developing their own screencast.  The lesson I plan on using this for, I will be asking my students to develop a screencast of one major event that stood out to them over the course of the unit and create a screencast.  Only one event will be able to be chosen by students so that each event will be covered without repeating information. This will be a lesson that allows students to recap the major events we learned during the course of the unit as a study guide for their summative assessment.  The videos will be required to have a max. time limit as to provided enough time for students to review the material prior to test day.  I plan on providing a link to all of the videos so students who do have access outside of class can view them for even extra study time.