Feb 20

My Professional Learning Community

Where to begin? Choosing solid organizations to aid you in becoming a more empowered educator is a daunting task; especially at this point in my own education, it’s still a task to figure out exactly what I would benefit from. I chose to look at a resource that jumped out at me from the list provided, International Literacy Association, solely based on the fact that I love reading and writing, and firmly believe that my students should love them, too!

ILA does offer memberships, but I chose not to pursue one as of now because I just don’t have the money for a membership fee. I noticed they had a free membership option, but it was only for certain countries, and unfortunately the US was not apart of that list. If I was to choose an option though, I would get the student membership for $39/year which gives you six issues of their magazine that has tips, research, and other goodies inside, plus you have the option to buy other resources for much cheaper than without a membership.
While digging through their website, I discovered a section where you can buy resource books that are endorsed by ILA and were created to help the educator learn new ways of teaching reading, writing, and communication skills. You can find the list of books you are able to purchase here.

ILA also provides conferences for educators to attend and expand their own knowledge. I chose to follow ILA on twitter, using my professional account, and realized they are very active in human rights within the educational system as well. I made it a point to tweet out, “@ILAToday will empower educators, and in turn, educators will empower their students #pacificutech.”

On their youtube channel, International Literacy Association, they have multiple videos of guest speakers at their conferences, and also inspirational videos like the one shown here. Teaching is a profession that can too easily be swept under the rug, so I think it’s extremely important for outside organizations to emphasize to educators that they are one of the most important roles in our society.

The National Education Association is the second resource I looked at. This organization isn’t aimed towards a specific subject area, but more towards teaching in general. It provides detailed lesson plans for a variety of topics, for example right now the site is featuring Black History Month content and 100th day of school educational activities. Not only does it provide educators with simple and easy to follow lesson plans, it also provides classroom management tips and articles, how to understand school life, and an entire lesson dedicated to advice and support.

NEA is a fantastic resource to seek out as an educator because it truly does hold an abundance of information that is very helpful, whether you want to reach out for help when dealing with an overly talkative student, or get a fun activity that can still be penciled down as “math learning.” I also chose to follow this organization on twitter, @NEAToday. I think using twitter is an easy way to learn more about the organization in bits and pieces, plus you’re reminded of the organization itself nearly on a daily basis.

After researching these two resources, I’m eager to ask my colleagues at work what they may have stumbled across and use to help aid their teaching. As of now, I don’t see myself using a whole lot of technology for the individual student, but I think utilizing video clips can be a great strategy. I like to think that I would use many resources online for helping me create solid and fun lesson plans, come up with activities that still tie into daily learning, and be able to reach out to a larger network when I can’t quite crack the code on a students’ behavior.