Infographics

As a future English teacher, argumentative essays will likely be a pretty substantial part of my curriculum. I like this infographic for a few reasons, but mainly the fact that it has all the basic essential information for structuring an argumentative essay all in one place. It gives a quick description of each step, plus an example of how to put it into use. I also feel like essay instruction has a tendency to include what needs to be in a paper, but not necessarily how to find or construct that information. This graphic gives simple suggestions for how to find the information you need to include in an argumentative essay. This would be useful to print out and hang out the wall of a classroom to refer to any time students are working on argumentative essays. It would also be useful to include in a powerpoint when beginning teaching the idea of argumentative essays.

This is one that I think could be beneficial in any classroom, really, regardless of the content area. Critical thinking is an important aspect of education and doesn’t get enough explicit instruction. This would be useful for directing student discussion and for helping students formulate the types of questions necessary to really interact with complex texts and ideas. You can have it posted in class or as a digital resource that you can return to whenever students are struggling to find ways to analyze or dissect the material. As they spend more time practicing these skills it will become less necessary to refer to the graphic itself, which is the goal. But as a starting point, this is a good resource for examples of the types of questions we can be asking.

This is one I would want to have displayed on the wall to return to on a regular basis. I like the idea of building an appreciation for the sounds and meanings of less-common words. I want to encourage a love of words for the sake of the simple enjoyment of words that sound pleasant. Focusing on the aesthetic quality of the way a word sounds I think is a good way to encourage students to build their vocabulary, but without it seeming like an academic or tedious task. It also demonstrates how vast the English language is and how many words exist with very specific meanings. As a potential writing instructor I want to teach the value of choosing the right word for the right reasons, and introducing the fact that there is a word, say, for ‘rubbing on a lotion,’ I think is a great way to demonstrate the variety of language available.

These techniques are specific to the idea of storytelling, but I think some creative interpretation can make them applicable to more than just narrative. There’s an element of persistence and creative problem solving involved here that I particularly appreciate, and it’s packaged in such a way that makes it seem inspirational, rather than forceful. When it’s time to teach creative writing, this would be really useful for helping students to think of their stories as entire entities, rather than as a string of random ideas contained within a certain narrative arc. To think like writers, rather than to think like students who are forced to write. It’s also a graphic that I find particularly inspiring for myself, so it’s one that I would enjoy having posted in my classroom so that I could benefit from it.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.