Auckland

We landed in Auckland early Sunday morning. We took a shuttle into the city, had some breakfast, and then went to the Sky Tower.

I don’t like heights, but I don’t want to be limited by that fear, so I just held tight to the railing and practiced deep breathing. The elevator takes you straight to the 51st floor, where you have a panoramic view of the city. It was a pretty great introduction to Auckland, although we had no idea what we were looking at.

After the Sky Tower, we went to the Maritime Museum to explore New Zealand’s history.

The museum was fantastic. It made me realize how little I know about the history of this beautiful country. For instance, New Zealand is recognized as the last part of the globe to become inhabited by humans, and there have been numerous strategic campaigns by countries to encourage people to emigrate. The ad campaigns that took place in England basically argued, “if life’s hard because you’re poor, you can move to New Zealand and things will be better.” It made me wonder whether it was a genuine encouragement to help improve people’s lives, or whether the people with money just wanted to get rid of the ‘undesirables.’ I don’t know, but I’m choosing to believe in kindness.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Auckland

1. Michael Charles says:

Jesse, thanks for your post amidst all the work of getting your practicum started in a new country. I concur with your sentiments regarding kindness.