Learning is More Fun than Ever

What valuable resources, communities, apps, or ideas have I found to support my teaching. Include hyperlinks to the pages or resources in your post and other media like videos if you like?

The internet is something that our students are going to be exposed to before they ever enter our classrooms. The internet can be a source of unwieldy misinformation or a tool for tremendous educational potential. I hope to spark my students interest while guiding them to safe, fun, and interesting places on the web so that inquiry and elaboration of school topics is something my students do naturally on their own time. Learning is fun at my places on the internet. I believe it should be a teacher’s responsibility to guide and empower young learners in an up-to-date and relevant way on how to navigate the web. YouTube is an immense resource which our students will already be aware of. I plan to utilize YouTube frequently in my own classroom. Introducing them to “channels” that can spark interest at the start of a lesson could make a huge difference in classroom engage. There are a lot of good scientifically focused channels out their. For example: MinuteEarth, Vsauce , In a Nutshell, TED-Ed and many more. Traditional programming also uploads content to YouTube for easy viewing in a classroom: PBS Idea Channel, BBC Earth , NatGeo. Kids will be exposed to fun and educational content that they can access outside of school for further exploration of topics that interest them.

GoNoodle is a popular site that is less content based and more used for classroom management based loosely on mindfulness techniques. There are many videos designed to calm a classroom down or even energize a classroom with needed movements. The videos are usually used when the teacher assess the classroom atmosphere and knows that a change would be of benefit. Technology is something that is all around us and isn’t going away. It would be ridiculous and foolish to not use it to better teach and prepare our students for life and the “real world.”

What are other teachers saying about the role of technology in their teaching and learning that I find interesting and makes me wonder?

I don’t know a teacher that hasn’t incorporated technology into their teaching in some way. The struggle is to stay in touch and relevant with the latest and greatest resources. A great source for refining your craft as a teacher was shared with our cohort in another one of our classes by Brain Gulka: Cult of Pedagogy. Its a site devoted to teaching strategies. In one of Gonzalez’s videos she talks of the role of technology in a classroom. She felt that it was essential to “stay up” on the newest technology-related educational tools. She feels the most effective way to approach tech is: first, as a “process” (i.e. she gave blogging as a concept and all its facets) for what you want to accomplish in the classroom, and second “tools” for how you actually use as the tech (i.e. a real blogging site like “wordpress”) and what it will specifically look like once you’re in a lesson. In many ways our first few projects reflect her views and goals around the importance of establishing your own site or blog to accompany teaching day-to-day. In other words, technology is an invaluable resource for teaching but will take some work to master.

What are some cool, clever, and creative resources or new ways of thinking about technology integration in my field that I might use? What are some simple and practical resources of new ways of thinking about technology integration in my field that I might use?

When I look at modern classrooms where all the students are able to have access to an ipad it’s hard to fully grasp all the possibilities that that could entail. Looking back at my own education and how I felt so much of it was dry, boring and unengaging, I hope to incorporate more fun into the curriculum. Instead of a math text followed by a worksheet type lesson: an app might make sense and could use “gamification” of multiplication. Where a student might have previously checked-out now there is a new avenue where learning can take place.

Select one or more social media apps you will follow from the organization: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. Describe the content in the feed and how you might find it useful for your professional development. Use the hashtag #pacificutech to share with our network on all those platforms.

The national center for Science Education looks like an amazing resource. I signed up for their newsletter and can follow them on twitter or other platforms. The Cult of Pedagogy also has a twitter account to notify followers of new blog post etc. that I started following. All of the youtube channels can also be followed on a google account to stay current.

Hyperlinks

Website: National Center for Science Education They are accessible on a lot of social media platforms. “NCSE’s programs support teachers, engage scientists and organize local communities to ensure that evolution and climate change are taught without compromise. We are vigilant in monitoring for anti-science legislation, inaccurate textbooks, and compromised science standards, and effectively organize local responses whenever problems arise.”

Blog/Website: Cult of PedagogyWith this site, I hope to create what I did not have myself: a vibrant, encouraging, stimulating community of teachers, supporting each other toward excellence. I believe if we can reach across the limits of geography and find each other, there’s no limit to the amazing things we can accomplish.”

Youtube Channel: MinuteEarth makes short videos on geology that make hard to explain or visualize concepts easy to digest.

Youtube Channel: Vsauce  makes long-form videos on scientific phenomena with a lot of interesting facts and experiments along the way to a bigger idea.

Youtube Channel:  In a Nutshell consists of scientifically minded short cartoons explaining on things that most people wonder about or would find interesting .

Youtube Channel: TED-Ed explains in colorful and creative ways on a wide range of topics.

Youtube Channel: PBS Idea Channel gives answers to common questions in a thought proving way which are age appropriate to younger students.

Youtube Channel:  BBC Earth  is well done wildlife cinematography.

Youtube Channel: NatGeo is informative videos on animals and nature.

Website: GoNoodle is a database of videos used for classroom management.