TES and the Flipped Classroom

TES Teach is a great resource to begin flipping your classroom and provide student exploration. My first attempt at this was to create a page of information geared toward understanding different maps and their uses.

Map Types and Their Uses

It’s not easy wading through the content available, but it is handy that they allow you to search several different resources at once including sites like youtube. I was semi-successful in creating a starting point for students; however, after looking at the tips page I see that there are perhaps better ways to go about it. In particular, I think doing a map info project either as a ‘crowdsourced’ lesson, and ‘image bank’, or a ‘treasure hunt’ could be more engaging.

That said, my hope in creating this page is that students could use it to review and learn more about maps types for a Social Studies lesson I’ve been working on. The main idea would be to take information about the fresh water available on Earth from their Science lesson, readings about Native Americans and Early Settlers, and compare them to maps to see what were key motivators in where people choose to live.

About Jennifer Cox

A life time Oregonian, I've traveled and taught ESL courses in China the past five years and have recently returned to teach at Myrtle Creek Elementary this past Fall and begin the road towards earning my master's here at Pacific. Currently, I'm teaching in the Kindergarten classroom but will be taking on a new role as a 5th-grade teacher this coming Fall. I'm excited to get kids working on building their collaboration and leadership skills, growth mindset, and working on projects that they can publish (hopefully both electronically and physically within the school). It will be a fun challenge, as my teaching partner and I will be the beginning of a new team at MCE for 5th. The possibilities have me enthused for the new year. As an educator, my greatest goal is to inspire a desire to learn and try to understand, not just academics, but each other and themselves. A part of that is my hope that students take away more than just content knowledge but an understanding of how to learn, how to use the tools they have been given, and what some of the possibilities might be. I desire to see students leave my classroom with the tools and mindset needed to be successful in whatever their personal goals might be. In the process, I hope to connect students to the micro and macro environments of which they are apart. Helping them see where they might fit in the broader environs and communities of their city, state, nation, and world. Prior to teaching, I've had a background in linguistics, with a bit of a history with cake decorating, computer science, and a touch of archaeology. Each topic has its own story and several more behind it. I expect that as a teacher, and a student, my hunger for knowledge will not be quenched any time soon. As we start this journey in the world where tech and education meet, I hope those of you following along will find useful tips, resources, and stories that will help both students and teachers alike.
This entry was posted in Assessment Tools, Classroom Tech, Potential Lesson Plans Using Tech, Research Tools. Bookmark the permalink.