Hyperdocs — Book Review

I’m excited about trying out hyperdocs more in the coming year and spent some time browsing Hyperdocs.co. As I was looking through various ideas I came across the following Hyperdoc that utilized Google Docs and Flipgrid to walk students through doing a video book review. Here’s the Book Review Hyperdoc linked to Flipgrid copy I made with a link to my Flipgrid.

This hyperdoc and the links within it provide students with a great step by step guide to setting up a good 90sec book review that can then be posted on Flipgrid and later transferred to the books in the class library through a QR code that can then be scanned by another device and played. In my classroom next year I was contemplating various ways of getting a book review system going in which students can recommend different books and hopefully boost ownership and excitement in student reading. The hard part is that next year, most of my wall space is windows so many traditional methods of doing posts on the wall would not work very well, nor could you display very many at a time. Having students do them via videos accessible by student Chromebooks or other devices could really help expand the amount of student-made information available on class books. Over time you may wind up with a student video describing each of the books in your library, even having recommendations by past years students to the new class. It’s kind of exciting!

The hyperdoc itself is well made with clear directions and useful links to helpful resources to give students ideas on how to do each part of the review, as well as highlighting the purpose for doing one in the first place. I can see how this could really function well in a flipped classroom and definitely plan to do more research to get the QR codes up and running.

About Jennifer Cox

A life time Oregonian, I've traveled and taught ESL courses in China the past five years and have recently returned to teach at Myrtle Creek Elementary this past Fall and begin the road towards earning my master's here at Pacific. Currently, I'm teaching in the Kindergarten classroom but will be taking on a new role as a 5th-grade teacher this coming Fall. I'm excited to get kids working on building their collaboration and leadership skills, growth mindset, and working on projects that they can publish (hopefully both electronically and physically within the school). It will be a fun challenge, as my teaching partner and I will be the beginning of a new team at MCE for 5th. The possibilities have me enthused for the new year. As an educator, my greatest goal is to inspire a desire to learn and try to understand, not just academics, but each other and themselves. A part of that is my hope that students take away more than just content knowledge but an understanding of how to learn, how to use the tools they have been given, and what some of the possibilities might be. I desire to see students leave my classroom with the tools and mindset needed to be successful in whatever their personal goals might be. In the process, I hope to connect students to the micro and macro environments of which they are apart. Helping them see where they might fit in the broader environs and communities of their city, state, nation, and world. Prior to teaching, I've had a background in linguistics, with a bit of a history with cake decorating, computer science, and a touch of archaeology. Each topic has its own story and several more behind it. I expect that as a teacher, and a student, my hunger for knowledge will not be quenched any time soon. As we start this journey in the world where tech and education meet, I hope those of you following along will find useful tips, resources, and stories that will help both students and teachers alike.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.