Screencasts ‘R’ Us

Screencasts are a great tool for creating your own videos that students can return to as often as they like, replay, pause and repeat to help build their understanding on how to do a given task. Even better, you can then share your videos with other educators so that you don’t have to keep reinventing the wheel. There are many screencasting tools out there, but Screencastify is a great free tool for those just entering the world of the screencast. It is simple to use and they provide a quick and helpful tutorial the first time you log in.

Below are two videos I made for my students next year on how to get started using Flip Grid. The first shows my more detailed explanation that includes my video feed as I talk students through the process, the second is a shorter version without sound that students could use as a quick reminder. My goal in making these videos is for students to be able to use their Chromebooks in a Flip Grid station, potentially with a mike and headphones, to record, post, watch, and reply to others videos on a variety of classroom discussion topics.

Flip Grid Intro – Long

Flip Grid Intro – Short

As you can see, I’m still getting used to this technology and will need some practice. Here are some other educators whose videos might prove useful to your classroom.

This screencast about the 3 Types of Fractions posted on youtube by Jonathan Carpenter is one that I hope to use next year as a resource for my math lessons. This video could be a great review for students who have not mastered these fraction types and are still learning to convert between them. Having an in-class lesson followed by individual practice in which students had access to this video as a reminder could help those who need repetition or may benefit from hearing another educators explanation.

Another screencast that I may make use of was posted by Mark Repp on Peer Editing within Google Classroom. Recently I’ve been trying to look into what ways I can use Chromebooks next term to enhance learning and reduce the amount of physical paper that gets used. Getting students to use google docs and share their work directly with their partners without needing to print it out could be huge. I also appreciated that in the video it showed the settings for sharing and what they should allow. Having the process spelled out from beginning to end might help avoid issues in which students try to edit anothers original document.

About Jennifer Cox

A life time Oregonian, I've traveled and taught ESL courses in China the past five years and have recently returned to teach at Myrtle Creek Elementary this past Fall and begin the road towards earning my master's here at Pacific. Currently, I'm teaching in the Kindergarten classroom but will be taking on a new role as a 5th-grade teacher this coming Fall. I'm excited to get kids working on building their collaboration and leadership skills, growth mindset, and working on projects that they can publish (hopefully both electronically and physically within the school). It will be a fun challenge, as my teaching partner and I will be the beginning of a new team at MCE for 5th. The possibilities have me enthused for the new year. As an educator, my greatest goal is to inspire a desire to learn and try to understand, not just academics, but each other and themselves. A part of that is my hope that students take away more than just content knowledge but an understanding of how to learn, how to use the tools they have been given, and what some of the possibilities might be. I desire to see students leave my classroom with the tools and mindset needed to be successful in whatever their personal goals might be. In the process, I hope to connect students to the micro and macro environments of which they are apart. Helping them see where they might fit in the broader environs and communities of their city, state, nation, and world. Prior to teaching, I've had a background in linguistics, with a bit of a history with cake decorating, computer science, and a touch of archaeology. Each topic has its own story and several more behind it. I expect that as a teacher, and a student, my hunger for knowledge will not be quenched any time soon. As we start this journey in the world where tech and education meet, I hope those of you following along will find useful tips, resources, and stories that will help both students and teachers alike.
This entry was posted in Classroom Tech, Screencasting. Bookmark the permalink.