Kahoots Assessment — Food Chains — It’s All Connected

As the Great Mufasa taught a young Simba, “We are all connected in the great Circle of Life.”  In my science lessons that start with Mystery Sciences food chain explorations and move on into our own local food chains, I would use the following Kahoots game to have my students show what they know about the web of life and the food chains that connect them all.

Kahoots Food Chain Gang Review

I chose Kahoots for its game based interaction.  It is a great way to see where students are as a quick formative assessment before continuing on in the unit.  It also has the ability to be used in Chromebook classrooms, an important point for my own teaching since it will be a new technology available to us next year.  See how it’s used in the links below.

How to Play Kahoots on a Chromebook

Kahoots Science 5th Grade Class

One key thing to note however is that this really should be approached as a fun game with the kids and not as a ‘test’.  One thing I found as I searched for videos of teachers using this technology with Chromebooks was a decent number of videos suggesting ways in which you could hack it.  There were over 29,000 results like those in this picture.

I suspect that this could be a response from students who have been getting tested using this platform and it is possibly being overused in certain schools.  I’ve experienced this type of reaction in China as well when doing Jeopardy and other similar games.  The games only remain fun if they are not overused.  Students can smell a ‘test’ from a mile away. This suggests that I be careful that I don’t overuse it and perhaps include it as one of a variety of formative assessment tools.

About Jennifer Cox

A life time Oregonian, I've traveled and taught ESL courses in China the past five years and have recently returned to teach at Myrtle Creek Elementary this past Fall and begin the road towards earning my master's here at Pacific. Currently, I'm teaching in the Kindergarten classroom but will be taking on a new role as a 5th-grade teacher this coming Fall. I'm excited to get kids working on building their collaboration and leadership skills, growth mindset, and working on projects that they can publish (hopefully both electronically and physically within the school). It will be a fun challenge, as my teaching partner and I will be the beginning of a new team at MCE for 5th. The possibilities have me enthused for the new year. As an educator, my greatest goal is to inspire a desire to learn and try to understand, not just academics, but each other and themselves. A part of that is my hope that students take away more than just content knowledge but an understanding of how to learn, how to use the tools they have been given, and what some of the possibilities might be. I desire to see students leave my classroom with the tools and mindset needed to be successful in whatever their personal goals might be. In the process, I hope to connect students to the micro and macro environments of which they are apart. Helping them see where they might fit in the broader environs and communities of their city, state, nation, and world. Prior to teaching, I've had a background in linguistics, with a bit of a history with cake decorating, computer science, and a touch of archaeology. Each topic has its own story and several more behind it. I expect that as a teacher, and a student, my hunger for knowledge will not be quenched any time soon. As we start this journey in the world where tech and education meet, I hope those of you following along will find useful tips, resources, and stories that will help both students and teachers alike.
This entry was posted in Assessment Tools, Classroom Tech, Potential Lesson Plans Using Tech. Bookmark the permalink.