Digital Curation Project: Mapping the U.S.

Today you each be the curators of a site that will inform your classmates, and the world, about the geography, natural resources, and people living in the state along the Oregon trail that your group has won in the class drawing.

Start here to get some ideas:
National Parks Register of Historic Places: Oregon Trail

As a curator of this historical record you need to find articles, pictures, recordings and videos that bring your ‘exhibit’ to life.

Like a museum exhibit, your digital exhibit will also need a title, a short introduction to your site at the top of the page, and a brief description of each link you have chosen to include.

You will be graded on your inclusion of the content listed above, your ability to work as a team, the level engagement you inspire, and the accuracy of your information.

Below is an elink page I have created with some resources to help you identify reliable sources and some tips to help you search be more successful.

Getting Started in Research

About Jennifer Cox

A life time Oregonian, I've traveled and taught ESL courses in China the past five years and have recently returned to teach at Myrtle Creek Elementary this past Fall and begin the road towards earning my master's here at Pacific. Currently, I'm teaching in the Kindergarten classroom but will be taking on a new role as a 5th-grade teacher this coming Fall. I'm excited to get kids working on building their collaboration and leadership skills, growth mindset, and working on projects that they can publish (hopefully both electronically and physically within the school). It will be a fun challenge, as my teaching partner and I will be the beginning of a new team at MCE for 5th. The possibilities have me enthused for the new year. As an educator, my greatest goal is to inspire a desire to learn and try to understand, not just academics, but each other and themselves. A part of that is my hope that students take away more than just content knowledge but an understanding of how to learn, how to use the tools they have been given, and what some of the possibilities might be. I desire to see students leave my classroom with the tools and mindset needed to be successful in whatever their personal goals might be. In the process, I hope to connect students to the micro and macro environments of which they are apart. Helping them see where they might fit in the broader environs and communities of their city, state, nation, and world. Prior to teaching, I've had a background in linguistics, with a bit of a history with cake decorating, computer science, and a touch of archaeology. Each topic has its own story and several more behind it. I expect that as a teacher, and a student, my hunger for knowledge will not be quenched any time soon. As we start this journey in the world where tech and education meet, I hope those of you following along will find useful tips, resources, and stories that will help both students and teachers alike.
This entry was posted in Potential Lesson Plans Using Tech and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.