Science Journal by Google

Being an elementary school teacher, working on a science endorsement, and getting ready to combine the two for a revamp of our 5th-grade science education I set out first and foremost to see what cool new apps I might be able to use to enhance our science curriculum.

My search led me to the science journal app.  This is a free app that makes excellent use of onboard features in your chrome book and android phone, features you may not have even been aware were available.

Like many journaling apps, it lets you take notes and add pictures to experiment journals that you can then share via email and social media.  Where it gets curious and brings in the wonder is its use of your devices tools that sense light, motion, magnetic fields, and sound.

Not sure what you can apply this to or how this could be implemented?  Check out the experiments list on their website:

Science Journal With Google Experiments List

Getting started with it is easy.  Google provides plenty of information on how to get things up and running.  I also found Science Buddies to have great documentation as well.

Science Buddies Science Jounral Tutorial

About Jennifer Cox

A life time Oregonian, I've traveled and taught ESL courses in China the past five years and have recently returned to teach at Myrtle Creek Elementary this past Fall and begin the road towards earning my master's here at Pacific. Currently, I'm teaching in the Kindergarten classroom but will be taking on a new role as a 5th-grade teacher this coming Fall. I'm excited to get kids working on building their collaboration and leadership skills, growth mindset, and working on projects that they can publish (hopefully both electronically and physically within the school). It will be a fun challenge, as my teaching partner and I will be the beginning of a new team at MCE for 5th. The possibilities have me enthused for the new year. As an educator, my greatest goal is to inspire a desire to learn and try to understand, not just academics, but each other and themselves. A part of that is my hope that students take away more than just content knowledge but an understanding of how to learn, how to use the tools they have been given, and what some of the possibilities might be. I desire to see students leave my classroom with the tools and mindset needed to be successful in whatever their personal goals might be. In the process, I hope to connect students to the micro and macro environments of which they are apart. Helping them see where they might fit in the broader environs and communities of their city, state, nation, and world. Prior to teaching, I've had a background in linguistics, with a bit of a history with cake decorating, computer science, and a touch of archaeology. Each topic has its own story and several more behind it. I expect that as a teacher, and a student, my hunger for knowledge will not be quenched any time soon. As we start this journey in the world where tech and education meet, I hope those of you following along will find useful tips, resources, and stories that will help both students and teachers alike.
This entry was posted in Apps for Android, Classroom Tech. Bookmark the permalink.