Chapter #1Becoming a Student Teacher Action Researcher-Blogs

popcorn table picture

Research is a scary word to me. I should say…it USED to be a scary word to me until reading this book and taking this class.
It used to mean hours and hours of scouring library books and encyclopedias.  Now, it is much more modern with computers, people, and other inventive ways to compile our work.  This chapter explores the action research, which I am interested in.

Chapter 1-Becoming a Student Teacher-Action Researcher

Reason #1-Practioner Based

Done by teachers in their own classrooms!  How exciting.  We can be teaching, learning, and researching ALL AT ONCE!

Here are the 3 issues I see in today’s schools.

1. Positive support from the teacher (PBIS)-there are many children coming in with issues that are beyond our control.  We need to not lump them in with “that one is a high behavior..ect” until we get to the root of that behavior.  It could be because he/she hasn’t eaten a solid meal in 3 days or has slept in the car…ect.
  2. The above leads into #2.  We need more physical support.  More bodies that are trained to help and just be there to support the kiddos.  This includes the kiddos that may not often need extra support.  We are with them most of their school life and they need to feel safe and secure.
  3.   Communication.  In the school I was just in, that seems to be lacking the most.  I know from the minute I walk in to the minute I leave I am running.  They ask me I have checked my email.  I am not able to take a minute to sit down during my day to do that, so no.  Not once did the principal stop me to ask how it was going.  I know they are ALL busy, but gaps can not happen with communication.  It causes mis communication and hard feelings.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Chapter #1Becoming a Student Teacher Action Researcher-Blogs

1. Steven Rhine says:

Computers have certainly changed the nature of research. One of the things the book talks about is teacher burnout. I think teacher research is a way to combat that. As you step back from the routine and conduct inquiry on an aspect of your practice, you are constantly rejuvenating your teaching. As you point out, communication is an important aspect.

• Cori Oyler says:

It is hard to think of being burnt out on a profession that I am so passionate about, but just like too much of anything, I am sure it can happen. Sometimes, I get burnt out on parenting, but it doesn’t mean I give up. You are right, though. Focusing on a small chunk of what we love, can help renew and provide a glimpse of a broader area that we may not have noticed before.