Chapter 5-Telling the Story of your Action Research

I love teaching because I feel I have a gift for it.  I have passion, and I am willing to learn and grow.  That is why I think that action research is such a good fit for me.  It takes all of the pieces of triangulation that we do every day in teaching to develop research.  I feel that we are always observing and learning from our peer educators and our young people.  Collaboration from different classes of mine over the years can help establish more data for ongoing research.  The goal to help students become more successful is a common one for educators, especially passionate ones like me.

This chapter is about telling your story.  My story is seeing students be successful and having a positive experience.  That is why I wanted to know about the outcome of positive praise and feedback.  I have always known the more positive I am it helps even in the most challenging students.  Not all students are met with positive and sometimes the only attention they receive is negative, but they will take it.

Knowing how to convey what we have researched and worked to get is important.  With that being said, this chapter helps with the guidelines and professionalism to get us there. This chapter shows us the voice in which to speak and to write in style.  Developing our style seems like it would be easy, but it is like our action research.  It takes diligence, and trustworthiness.  It takes passion to develop our research and our voice is an extension of that passion.

The circles on page 154 that are personal and professional combine to create a common ground.  This is where we will find our voice create our style for our action research.

The final product of the research paper is writing our story. It has steps, just like the previous chapters.  Again, it has guidelines boundaries. On page 157 it has a list to go by.  They are an abstract which means a paragraph describing the purpose, procedure and results of the research conducted.  Just like any paper, it is the hook before the introduction, just a short introduction before the introduction.  The introduction is just that. It combines the setting and the story of the research.  It sets the reader up for the rest of the story and the telling of it through the data collected via words on paper. The rest of the paper is through literature reviews, clarifying my action research.  The meat of the paper is the road map, the story and the conclusion is the reflection and one can’t take all of the credit but give references and then cite them.

Other forms like we are doing in other classes are a portfolio ( I did this in my literacy class).  It showcases the research done. This is made up of other forms of data.  When I did my portfolio, I showcased artifacts used from data gathered while conducting literacy research on a 1st grade ELL reader.  I had writing samples, (artifacts and running record recordings).  Again, trustworthiness and integrity is an ample piece of this quality research.

As we have done in class, an annotated bibliography is another way to present our research.  We did this on a template, and it highlights what we have learned in our reading of books, academic peer published articles or other academic publications.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Chapter 5-Telling the Story of your Action Research

1. Steven Rhine says:

It is important to communicate the insights that you gain in a way that helps your audience have confidence in your findings. As you point out, you want that communication to be engaging and draw people into your story and what you have to share. Trustworthiness is your goal.