9/18-10/1

Hi Everyone,

OK, now that you have begun formulating a topic of interest, we will begin to build an initial portfolio. In the coming weeks, let’s see how they stack up as we learn more about research traditions. Module 2 is about research design and quantitative research.

Here is the quantitative activity we did in class: Dummy Data

Module 2:

Here is a Screencast about how to get journal articles from ILLiad

Here are guidelines for critiquing research (in class): 3 Critiquing Research

Here is the article we critiqued in class: computer-adapted-cbi_jsetv21n2

Todd

Supplementary Readings

Here is an excellent overview of statistics (better than mine!) written by my colleague Julie Alonzo: Nothing-Up-My-Sleeve

Here is a normal distribution simulation.

Here is a check sheet you can use as you evaluate your quantitative articles (though parts could be used for both traditions): elements-of-a-research-article

31 Responses to 9/18-10/1

1. Aryn says:

Mode- 92
    Median- 92
    Mean- 92
    Variance- 24.44
    Standard Deviation- 4.94

I got the same answers as everyone else but will post them anyway. I haven’t taken a statistics class before so calculating variance and standard deviation were new to me but turned out to be much easier than I thought they would be.

2. Brianne says:

Median:92
    Mean:92
    Variance:24.44
    Standard Deviation:4.94

I don’r remember having taken a stats class so the the last two are new to me. Also all the 3,745 new terms are all swirling around in my head :/

3. Chelsea says:

Got the same answers as everyone else. The mean, median, mode, and variance are all things I have done before but the standard deviation was new to me.

Mode 92
    Median 92
    Mean 92
    variance 24.44
    Standard deviation 4.94

4. catl6633 says:

Median:92
    Mean: 92 (so mean)
    Variance: 24.444
    Standard deviation: 4.94408

My math skills have improved being in a math class the last few years at my school. I took notes on the entire article and the lesson for Module 2. It was a big day of stats for me. It’s a lot of new vocabulary and terms to try to wrap my head around. I didn’t really get a good idea of variance and standard deviation so I googled it and found this that helped. To calculate the variance follow these steps:

1.Work out the Mean (the simple average of the numbers)
    2.Then for each number: subtract the Mean and square the result (the squared difference).
    3.Then work out the average of those squared differences.
    I was then able to get the standard deviation, but I had to play around with it for a few minutes. Whew… I think I need to play guitar for a few minutes before my next homework task tonight.

5. gang4513 says:

Mode 92
    median 92
    mean 92
    variance 24.444
    standard deviation 4.94

6. Jessica says:

Mode – 92
    Median – 92
    Mean – 92
    Variance – 24.44
    Standard Deviation – 4.94

I haven’t taken statistics since high school, but I vaguely remember this. I definitely needed to review.

7. Jake says:

I also got the same answers as everyone else. Like many of my classmates, I have not done work like this in awhile, so I appreciated getting to practice it again also.

Mean: 92
    Median: 92
    Variance: 24.4
    Standard Deviation: 4.94

8. Gabe says:

Median: 92
    Mean: 92
    Variance: 24.4 repeating
    Standart Deviation : 4.94413

I was able to find the variance by doing it step by step but in google sheets when I tried using the =VAR I got 27.5. Just wondering for the future to save some time if anyone knew where I went wrong. I have never used google sheets before… Thanks

• Joe says:

I was messing around with the data in google sheets and if you use =VarP (p for population) and =stdevp it gives the numbers that we all got when calculating it ourselves.

I do not know the reason why the numbers are different for population and sample, but I hope that helps!

9. Maddie says:

Mode (most frequent): 92
    Median (Middle): 92
    Mean(Average): 92
    Variance (multiple steps): 24.44
    Standart Deviation (square root of variance): 4.94

I also took a statistics class many years ago and definitely would not have been able to complete this task with out reviewing the materials through the reading.

10. ophe4482 says:

Mode = 92
    Median = 92
    mean = 92
    variance = 24.44
    Standard deviation = 4.944
    I got the same as the others by doing it without a calculator. However I went to check it online and I got 2 different numbers for variance and standard deviation.

11. Katie says:

I got all the same answers but I’ll post mine too. πŸ™‚
    mode: 92
    median: 92
    mean: 92
    variance: 24.44
    sd: 4.94

12. Todd Twyman says:

What is the mean, median, mode, variance, and standard deviation of our data set?

• fouq3376 says:

Median: 92
      Mean: 92
      Variance: 24.44
      Standard Deviation: 4.94

• Kyla says:

I got the same results as everyone else:
      Median: 92
      Mean: 92
      Variance: 24.44
      Standard Deviation: 4.94

I took statistics for my psychology degree in my undergrad and learned all of this before, but when you go for so long without practicing something it is easy to lose. I found that practicing finding the calculations myself really helped reinforce the concepts of each of the terms, because it is hard for me to process mathematically founded ideas by simply reading about them.

• Kyle says:

I got the same answers, which is good because I haven’t done this stuff in years.

Mean: 92
      Median: 92
      Variance: 24.4
      Standard Deviation: 4.94

• TJ says:

Last time I did this it was my first semester at UO 5 years ago in a Sociology stats course. Had to brush up on variance and st dev. but happy to report I got the same as everyone else.

Mean- 92 (add them up and divide by total #)
      Median- 92 (middle # from group)
      Mode- 92 (# that occurs most often)
      Variance- 24.44 (how far away from mean ~ square each # ~ add all #’s ~ divide by total # in set)
      St. Dev.- 4.94 (square root of variance)

• Don says:

The mean, median, and mode all came to 92.
      I got 24 and four ninths for my variance, and after converting the fraction to a decimal, it’s 0.4444444444 to infinity. Thusly, the standard deviation taken as the square root of the variance yields approximately 4.944.

• Rebecca Krop says:

Mean = 92
      Mode = 92
      Mean = 92
      Variance = 24.44
      Standard Deviation = 4.94

The data has a normal distribution.

• Erik says:

Median: 92
      Mean: 92
      Variance: 24.44
      Standard Deviation: 4.94

Appears to be ALMOST a normal distribution?
      βœ“ Mode, Median & Mean are all the same: 92
      βœ“ Half the scores are above the mean and half below.
      βœ— Most scores seem to be “not close” to the mean? (-7, -6, -5, 0, 0, 0, +5, +6, +7)
      βœ“ The same number of percentage of all scores DO fall between mean and plus one standard dev. and between mean and minus one standard dev.

• Gabe says:

Median: 92
      Mean: 92
      Variance: 24.4 repeating
      Standard Deviation : 4.94413

• Carson says:

Mean:92
      Median:92
      Mode:92
      Variance:24.4 (repeating)
      Standard Deviation: 4.94

I used to love mean, median and mode when I was in high school and when I took a stats class in my sociology major. Once I found a calculator I had a great time! It was also really good to review the research significance of each term.

• fouq2882 says:

Median: 92
      Mean: 92
      Variance: 24.4444…
      Standard Deviation: 4.9441

I assume this is a population, and not a sample. The variance and SD would be different for a sample.

• kenn6317 says:

Mean: 92
      Median: 92
      Variance: 24.44
      SD: 4.94

• Joe says:

mean=92
      median=92
      mode=92
      variance=24.44
      standard deviation=4.94

I took statistics in high school and one class in college that went over statistics for a third of the term. I did have a lot of practice utilizing excel and statistics in all of my college science courses. I am confident in my statistics ability if anyone needs help. It has been a few years since my undergrad, but let me tell you, excel if your friend.

• mccl5095 says:

standard deviation: 4.94

• Jasmine says:

Median: 92
      Mean: 92
      Variance: 24.4 repeating
      Standard Deviation: 4.94

I have also not taken a statistics class since high school so I am looking forward to reintroducing myself to these materials.

• jesse says:

I actually got slightly different numbers than everyone else, so I went back and re-read everything and figured out my mistake. I read the calculation for variance as add the sum of the squares, divide by 10, rather than divide by the number of scores. But then I fixed it and got the same thing as everyone else:

Mean: 92