8/26 – 9/8

Tasks for this Module:

1. Download the appropriate EdTPA documents. Due by 9/8.

• Here is the site for EdTPA Resources: https://wordpress.ed.pacificu.edu/edtpa
    • Be sure to watch the videos, read the “Making Good Choices” guide, and download your handbook as soon as you can.
    • The password is pacificedtpa

2. Post your topics of interest on the “Topics” page. Due by 9/8. Then start reading on your topic. 🙂

3. Read this article and come prepared to critique it in class: CBI_BRJ. You may find these guidelines helpful when you read the article: 3 Critiquing Research. Due by 9/8.

4. Complete Module 1: EDUC_612_Fall_2019_Module_1. Check applicable due dates in Module 1.

I have started all appropriate threads. Please click the reply button underneath the original thread and so on as you respond to others. Let’s see how this goes…

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any difficulties with this module at all.

Todd

67 Responses to 8/26 – 9/8

1. Todd Twyman says:

Introduce yourself to your colleagues under this thread. Please try to remember the “Reply” formatting thing. 🙂

• hint6915 says:

Hi everyone! My name is Danyelle. I am a UO graduate with a BS in Education Foundations. I took a year off, taught preschool during that time, and now I’m here at Pacific, excited to move towards teaching elementary. I love outdoorsy stuff (hiking, fishing, hunting, etc.), playing roller derby, and doing art.

• grah6262 says:

Danyelle, what type of art do you like to do? I perfer oil painting with a focus on abstract representations of landscapes and science. Abstract art makes me feel free and oils just feel more lush. In fact, I am a bit of a snob when it comes to art materials and tools. Just saying.

• hint6915 says:

Hey Karleena!

I’m not too picky on what I use, but I typically like to draw. I actually just started drawing up signs and painting for a few bars in town. I’m hoping to expand it and do art for more places. If you want, you could check out my Instagram! @barred_art

• Hello Friends,

My name is Jamie Bennett and I am excited to be here. I have been working in advertising and marketing for 15 years. I am a commercial artist and art director. I have a ton of production experience too. I could go on for sometime about all of this, but I have also been teaching at Lane Community College (LCC). I work in their Small Business Development Center and I really enjoy it. I taught some classes on search engine optimization (SEO), and I teach a web design course that uses Wix as a pretext to discuss SEO, marketing, analytics, reputation management and I’m trying to get people comfortable with the terminology in general. I want to empower these people to take control of their online presence. There are gatekeepers that like people to feel helpless with technology. They use big scary words and wield talking points like weapons. I don’t like that. I want people armed with the right information. These people have a wide range of needs. Wix provides a free and accessible center point that we can all gather around. I am not an advocate for Wix nor a Wix apologist. The classes have been a really positive addition to my routine.

I have also been volunteering at Roosevelt Middle School and just being around the tempera paint takes me back. I think high school or middle school might be the place where I can have a true impact. I can always do LCC on the side. I have talked in a variety of classrooms over the years about the legitimacy and accessibility of creative careers. I work out of the house full time and make good money. I made better money when I went in to the office, but I didn’t have this level of freedom. I want to use this time and my new found freedom to hopefully build others up. I believe that is the just thing to do.

I am taking this class because, I am looking for ways to better asses the impact of my lessons and interactions with students. I would like the tools to better understand the people that I am coming in contacts with and be able to plan accordingly. I also acknowledge that I am unaware of all the things I should be looking out for as a concerned teacher. I am hopeful that I will find ways to utilize these techniques identifying scenarios that could benefit from action.

In the book it talks about:
      * Identify the Probelm
      * Gather Data
      * Make an Action Plan
      * Implement the Plan
      * Gather Data
      * Analyze Data
      * Evaluate Action
      * Report Results

Marketing is similar to this but there are obvious differences between the two professions, and I want to make sure that I am ready to take on the future.

I am a father of two beautiful children. I have an eight year old and a 19 month old. My wife is a teacher and she is my role model. I also have a mess of animals at home. I do sound sometimes at beergarden. (not a typo, just trying to be consistent with their branding) and Public House too. So if you see me there feel free to say hi. I am really excited to get to know everyone and optimistic about the future.

• cox7526 says:

Hello Jamie! and it’s nice to meet you digitally. I worked for the American Forces Network doing branding and making commercials, though it’s been a few years. I was in Public Affairs while in the military and though we specialized in one area, the work requested often required additional skill sets. I admire that you enjoy the data, as our audience consists mainly of service members on ships, or overseas, getting that data other than from questionnaires wasn’t very reliable.

Interesting you teach at LCC as well, I thought about pursuing this field in secondary ed, but opted for elementary.

Good luck in the coming months!

• jone0417 says:

Hello All!

This is Anessa, here’s a brief snippet to introduce myself!

During my free time I love reading, collecting cookbooks, and eating (food is LIFE). I hail from Hawaii and came to Oregon to attend the UO. I graduated a couple of years ago thinking I was going to do medicine, but have switched gears over the last few years. I went from medicine, to being in the workforce as a financial administrator, and now choosing a path towards teaching. I have always had a passion working with kids, and think becoming a teacher would be a great opportunity to do this :)! I’m currently an EA in a Kindergarten classroom at Meadow View School. The purpose of me taking this course is to build a knowledge of how research and inquiry play a role as an educator, as well as familiarize myself in collaborating with other professionals in the teaching sector. Am excited to be working with y’all these next 15 months!

• reus7018 says:

Hi, Anessa! I also thought I was going to go into medicine when I first began college and I am so glad I let go of that to pursue teaching! I also love food! What’s your favorite?

• Jeannelle says:

Hi everyone,
      My name is Jeannelle and I am from Kodiak, Alaska. I moved to Eugene almost 2 years ago. I’m currently a preschool teacher and a personal trainer. I got my BA in Kinesiology and Exercise Science. I thought I wanted to go to PT school, but I knew it wasn’t truly what I wanted. I didn’t realize I wanted to become a teacher until my last semester of undergrad. I had to add a couple of humanities courses into my schedule. I knew deep down that I was interested in possibly becoming a teacher so I registered for two different education classes. One of the education classes discussed the history and politics of education, which made me respect teachers even more. After I graduated from college I volunteered in elementary and PE classrooms and I immediately knew what I wanted to do. I am taking this course because I’d like to learn more and get familiarized on how to research. I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone and working together through this journey.

• hint6915 says:

Hi Jeannelle! Where do you teach preschool? I taught preschool out in Veneta last and had a blast. Do you think you’ll want to teach lower elementary?

• treg6997 says:

Hello Jeannelle!
        I love your story!! I feel like I shared your experience. I also have a degree in Kinesiology and thought I wanted to be a PT, but something switched in me too and I don’t regret it at all!! I am so excited for you. What grade are you thinking you want to teach? Are you thinking PE?
        -Amy

• cox7526 says:

Hi Jeannelle!
        I had a similar change in plan from Speech pathology to Teaching. When I explored language and literacy development across the lifespan, I was intrigued, so here I am.

Interesting background and welcome to Eugene (moved about 4 years ago from SoCal).

• treg6997 says:

Hello everyone!
      My name is Amy Tregoning. I have lived many different places in the states and overseas, (Washington, Oregon, California, South Dakota, Nebraska, North Carolina, and Guam). My husband and I were both in the Coast Guard. I got out after 5 years and raise our two children. During that time I volunteered with Parent Co-ops and and other community organizations, and went back to school to get my Bachelors of Science at Humboldt State University. I worked in the Bioperformance Lab on campus after I graduated and until we moved overseas to Guam.
      While in Guam I decided to embrace life to the fullest there. I “boonie stomped” (hiked) twice a week, and would dive about 5 times a week. Eventually I became a scuba instructor to fund my scuba habits. 🙂
      We moved to Florence after Guam and fell in love with the community. My husband retired after 21 years, and I got a job as a Science Teacher at the Middle School. We are so very fortunate to be able to stay in Florence!!!

• long5976 says:

Hello everyone! My name is Miles. I graduated from the U of O in 2015 with my BA in Education Foundations. I took a few years off of school and have been working in different classrooms as an Educational Assistant. The last three years I have been at McCornack Elementary as a Behavioral EA. I really enjoy working with the community at McCornack! I am very involved in the wrestling community in Oregon. I have refereed for around 10 years and officiate at all levels, from five year old kids all the way up to Open level. I am looking forward to this course and how inquiry and research can help me as an educator!

• hint6915 says:

Hi, Miles! I also have a degree in Education Foundations from U; how cool! I also took a break after graduating, mainly for my mental health and also to really take the time to decide if I wanted teach or not. After teaching prek I knew teaching is where I wanna be. What made you decide to take a break and what made you decide to come back now?

• ashe7470 says:

Hello,
      My name is Ross. Nice to meet you. I like dogs. Bye.
      (Another ESOL teacher may find that funny)

I have just recently completed a short stint as a correctional officer with the Oregon Department Corrections. I highly recommend that you never go to prison or pick a career solely based on earning potential. Prior to that, I co-taught in the South Korean public school system as an ESOL and a Math-ESOL immersion instructor for ten years. I taught in Korea for ten years because I thoroughly enjoy teaching. Now it’s time to teach in Oregon.

I’ll admit, I’m not enamored with the topic of research, but I am determined to get the most of out this course. I will use this course as an opportunity to research topics that have been curious about. Broadly, I’d like to learn more about kinesthetic learning as well as ways to address students who lack self-control.

• treg6997 says:

Hello Ross! How did you get into teaching in South Korea public schools? I’ve heard of people being recruited overseas but it’s mostly been to private schools.
        It must have been an amazing adventure!

• grah6262 says:

Hello! Karleena here.
      I was born in Springfield and have lived most of my life in the Eugene/Springfield area. I am a late bloomer in terms of higher education. I began my studies at Lane Community College in my early thirties. There I completed the Women in Transition program and earned my Associates in Graphic Design. Next, I transfered to the University of Oregon and earned my Bachelor in Fine Arts. My focus: painting and drawing.
      Two weeks ago I quit my job, of six years, at the Campus Duck Store. There, I was the Art and School’s sales floor lead. At work, I gained important communication skills and relationships by interacting with a variety of people. These people were my sales floor staff, people in our community, UO faculty/staff/students and teachers/students from various schools. There are a lot of these people who are now my friends. Especially my staff.
      I was reluctant to teach public school until about a year ago. What changed my mind? Well, my sound relationships with my customers and staff. Most of my staff are twenty-something and some my customers are Pacific U grads. Their inspiration and support has been incredible and they are part of the reason why I am here.
      I have always wanted to teach art and give back to our community. My endorsements are art and integrated science. What better way to give back to our community then to educate our youth?
      I am very excited to get to know everyone and begin our adventure here at Pacific University!

• sana6202 says:

Hello all,
      My name is Brandon Sana. I received my undergraduate degree in psychology with a minor in communication studies from Western Oregon University. In my free time I love to hike, run, play card/board games, hangout with family and do anything that involves being in good company. I am a fairly shy person at first, but behind closed doors with close friends and family I am a quirky and loud individual. I enjoy learning about new cultures and other people’s life experiences; I am a great listener for the most part (unless I am hangry or tired, I am all ears).

I look forward to going through this process with all of you and I am eager to get to know you all more as we progress in our studies!

• grah6262 says:

Hi Brandon! Same here. I come off as shy but that is because I’m awkward and shy around people I don’t know. Honestly, I am awkward all the time! I’m excited to get to know you and everyone else. Maybe my awkwardness will be minimal. -Karleena

• reus7018 says:

Hi Brandon! I studied psychology as well! What drew you to teaching over a more traditional psychology profession?

• mcmu7019 says:

Hello everybody!

My name is Anzu. I am an Oregonian (Eugenian) but have lived in Japan for about a third of my life. I spent my early childhood there, and lived in Japan for 5 years after graduating from college. I just moved back this year in late April to restart life in my hometown.

I graduated from the U of O five years ago, with majors in International Studies (with a focus on second language acquisition and teaching) and Spanish. I spent a year studying abroad in Chile as a Junior in high school, then a second time Sophomore year of college. Chile is a third home to me and a place I am very passionate about. If I could go anywhere right now it would definitely be Chile!

After graduating college, I moved to Japan to live near my maternal grandparents, and to experience the culture as an adult. I worked for a few different English schools and private schools, which gave me the opportunity to teach a variety of people. Business owners, doctors, house wives, teachers, kids of all ages, babies, etc. Though I loved working with young children and toddlers, the middle school age felt the most fulfilling, leading me to choose secondary education.

I am excited to get to know everybody in the program, and (excited/nervous) to spend many, many hours studying with my cohort!

• arri8338 says:

Hi There,

My name is Colleen. I am graduated from the U of O in 2017. I majored in Sociology and minored in Art. I received my degree the same week I turned 50. I am a bit late to the table but I have a good excuse. I am the mother of 10 kids, 7 of which I adopted from the foster system in Washington State. Most of my kids are now adults and I currently have 7 amazing grandkids. While raising and amassing children, I continued to attend college here and there as I could. It only took me 30 years to get my Bachelors 😂.
      I moved to Oregon about 5 years ago out of necessity. I went through a scary divorce with my ex-husband of 25 years who is a police officer (enough said about that). I am now married to a wonderful man who is a local musician and guitar instructor. Now that my life is somewhat calm I have been able to concentrate on my dreams and goals, one of which is becoming a teacher. I am very excited to embark on this new adventure in my life and to finally do what I’ve always felt called to do.
      I look forward to working with you all and to having an amazing experience.

• mcmu7019 says:

My jaw dropped when I read that you are a mother of 10 children, 7 of which you adopted from a foster system. I would like to hear more about your story some time in person! I am excited to learn from you and your perspectives in our classes.

• arri8338 says:

I am always happy to share my experiences! I can go on way too long about the issues foster and previous foster kiddos have dealt with – things that affect their entire lives, especially their academics. In fact, the counselor of one of the set of sibs I adopted (3 kiddos) invited me to speak on that topic to a class of Masters in Education students she was instructing. They all found the information eye-opening and valuable. These kids are in the classrooms and their damage isn’t always recognizable. Oops…I feel myself getting on my soap box so I’ll stop now. Lol.
          Anyway, I would love to chat about it anytime 😊

• cox7526 says:

You are amazing as well and glad I’ve met you! I too graduated from UO this past June, while I am thankful for the experience, often times felt out of place.

It’s nice to have a wide range of ages in this cohort. Your life experience will add so much to enrich our discussions.

• saku7197 says:

My name is Haruka Sakurai. I am from the Saitama area in Japan (a suburb of Tokyo). Because of my father’s job, we moved quite often as a family and I attended 4 different grade schools and 2 kinder gardens. This experience as a kid taught me how to adjust to new environments relatively easily and now I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest which I love! Other than studying at Univ. of Portland as an exchange student for a year, I received all my education in Japan. After I graduated from college, I taught English for a couple of years and met my husband who is from Portland, which is how I ended up back in the U.S.
      For the past 10 years, I have been teaching Japanese at an after-school tutoring school in Portland and Redmond, WA. mainly to Japanese children who are born in the U.S. For many years, I have been practicing Japanese calligraphy and would like to incorporate that art form in my Japanese lesson plans someday. I am new to Eugene and so excited to explore the city. Let me know if you have any recommendations for places to eat or things to do. I look forward to getting to know you all.

• arri8338 says:

Haruka,

I love your idea of incorporating Japanese calligraphy into your lesson plans. There is much value in art and aesthetics in teaching. I think that adding that component to learning languages and/or core studies is very beneficial. I especially think it could help engage students who may struggle with academics but who lean toward creativity, and are artistic thinkers.

• nord7527 says:

Hello Everyone!
      My name is Madison Nordstrom and I am a graduate of the University of Washington. I got my degree in early childhood education and family studies with a minor in diversity. I took a year off to be apart of a resident teaching program in Seattle where I taught a multi-aged classroom (preschool, pre-k, and kinder). I moved to Eugene this summer to pursue my Masters in Elementary teaching. I enjoy painting, hiking, and new foods! Can’t wait to dive deeper into the class!

• arri8338 says:

Madison,

I too came from the Seattle area and when I moved to Eugene, a little over 5 years ago, I found there is a lot of delicious food that happens to be way more accessible than in Seattle- Seattle has delicious food but you have to search it out, and you definitely pay extra for delicious. When I got here I had a great time trying everything – and gaining 25 lbs in the process. 😂 (I’ve tempered myself somewhat now) But I still enjoy all the yummy flavors around here.

Colleen

• onei3997 says:

Hello Everyone,

My name is Coleen and I am excited and nervous to begin this adventure of becoming a teacher. I am a little frazzled right now as I moved during the first week of school and postponed homework only to be struck with some serious news involving my family and now I am trying to play catch up while my mind is consumed with other issues. You will all learn I am sure that I am high strung and tend to get stressed out easily, but I am also easy-going and optimistic (sounds like an oxymoron! :)) and I hope all of you feel comfortable saying hello to me or asking for help. I am excited we are all in this journey together; it helps relieve some of the pressure!

I graduated from Pacific University back in 2011 and moved back to my hometown on the southern Oregon coast. I met my boyfriend and his son over four years ago at a bbq and after committing to long distance for a year I decided to make the move up to Springfield. It took me awhile to gain my footing, but I ended up subbing as an EA for the Springfield School District and accepting a temporary position. Meanwhile, I was also completing my personal trainer certification. It was an example of happenstance turning into an avenue I knew I needed to pursue. I love being around kids and feeling like I can help improve their confidence and life skills. So why not combine my love of athletics with my love of teaching and being around children? I know it is the life I want to live and one that I will not regret when my final days approach. I believe life is short and you have to do what you love and fulfill your life to all its potential.

I look forward to getting to know you all more and achieving success so we can pass our skills, passion, and love to all the deserving children we are blessed to encounter!

• saff6944 says:

Hi, all!

I’m Teal Saffle. I moved to Eugene 3 years ago from Bellingham, WA, where I graduated from WWU with a Bachelor’s degree in English Literature. Unsurprisingly, I want to teach English language arts, but I’ve also decided to teach art–both at the high school level.

Growing up I lived in different parts of the world, so I tend to struggle with the question, “where are you from?” I’ve lived in Louisiana, Texas, Norway, Vietnam, Washington, and now here. Because of my experience living overseas and learning in international schools for half of my life, I want to eventually become an international school teacher myself.

I have 4 pets that are the lights of my life: My dog (Ninkasi), cat #1 (Pippin), cat #2 (Bokeh), and my husband. I love being outdoors as long as there aren’t mosquitos, reading Brandon Sanderson books on my couch while it’s pouring rain outside, and spending 3 hours cooking something new that should’ve only taken 1.

I am beyond exited to be at Pacific and look forward to getting to know all of you 🙂

• cox7526 says:

Hello All!
      My name is Leslie Cox and I am trying to figure this out and not be overwhelmed with tech, haha!

I am a vetern and seeking a new profession in teaching with a goal of something that resembles Title 1 eventually. My former life included photography, television marketing and other mediums of mass communication.

I am currently, not a teacher, though I tutor small groups at the UO in Math and Reading at the Center for Teaching and Learning.

My purpose in taking this course is to continue growth in research knowledge and not feel intimidated!

• desi7528 says:

Hello All,

My name is Tony DeSimone. I am very excited to be in this program and be working with you all ove the next year and a half. I currently am a coach at Willamette High School, coaching the defensive backs for the varsity and junior varsity football teams, and I am the assistant coach for Women’s Varsity Basketball team. This is my second year at Willamette and I absolutely love coaching, and cannot wait to be able to teach in a classroom. From this class, I look forward to learning and understanding more of the relationship between inquiry and math.

I graduated from the University of Oregon in 2017 with a BA in Spanish. After graduation I volunteered at Roosevelt Middle School and coached YMCA first grade sports for a year. I then became an EA at Shasta Middle School last year, along with coaching at Willamette. At Shasta I worked with sixth, seventh, and eighth graders. It was a great learning experience, not only in the classroom but also of the public school system. I was able to make some great relationships with teachers, administrators, and the students.

Outside of being a student and coach, I spend a lot of my time with my fiancĂŠe and my dog. I love to be in the kitchen cooking, or at the table eating.

• reus7018 says:

Hi everyone! I’m a bit late to the discussion. My name is Tristan and I just graduated from OSU with a B.S. in Psychology. I love working with children and my jobs/volunteer work have always been centered around them. I originally was going to attend the UO’s program for Marriage and Family Counseling, but after meeting my now fiancĂŠ who is a teacher I realized that might just be my gig. So here I am ready to learn how to be the best teacher I can be. I’m looking forward to this class so I can learn how to teach a diverse group of students and to meet them where they are. I want my classroom to be student-centered and to promote cultural-competence.

2. Todd Twyman says:

Identify which research tradition you lean towards, and explain why. There are no wrong answers. 🙂

• Jeannelle says:

The research tradition I’m thinking of leaning towards is qualitative research. I think I’d enjoy doing a qualitative research more because I’m into examining and gaining understanding in certain topics, especially when it comes to trying to figure out behaviors or perceptions. I also like to collect data by observing and taking notes. I’m all about showing examples such as pictures and videos if or when I can. To my understanding, qualitative researchers want to know where, when, how, and what circumstances behavior comes into being. I’d rather analyze data inductively and dive deeper into the problem instead of finding data to prove or disprove a hypothesis, which is why I’m leaning towards qualitative research.

• hint6915 says:

From the options listed and talked about in Module 1, I would say that I lean more towards qualitative research because I am initially more interested in the values, attitudes, perceptions, and other non-measurable concepts within the classroom. However, I can see how using both qualitative and quantitative together could allow for a deeper understanding of what one is trying to research.

If I were to choose a favorite among the types of quantitative research, I would probably lean towards correlational or causal-comparative because I feel that the results from both types have the most potential to offer insight to possible solutions for a problem one might be having in the classroom.

• sana6202 says:

As stated in the module, both qualitative and quantitative research are important and play vital roles in understanding different topics of interest; I agree and believe both to be of equal value. When looking at research, I tend to enjoy reading studies that are more so qualitative in nature. Positive psychology is my jam, which for the most part falls in the realm of qualitative research. I love gaining a greater understanding of the WHY; why do people do the things they do, act the way they act, think the way they think, etc.

Action research is taking an issue, studying it (organizing previously found data and possibly collecting your own data), and applying what you learned from the research to attempt to solve the said issue. As teachers, this will be an ongoing process. We will be forever be conducting action research projects. (:

• Anessa Jones says:

I think I lean more towards quantitative research, specifically the causal-comparative research type. I would have initially chosen correlational research as the type I leaned more towards, but in that type of research, it sounds like you’re not intentionally looking to see if something affects the other, just trying to see a pattern, and as I read more about the causal-comparative type, I found that it was the type of research I gravitated more towards. I like trying to find patterns to see overall trends, and am also personally drawn towards observing relationships between things. I also think causal-comparative was what I was taught to do (and ended up using) majority of my middle school-college years, and I think the familiarity causes me to lean towards it in that regard (disclaimer: I also believe that just because you’re familiar with something doesn’t mean you should choose that route each time, this is just an observation as I was reflecting on why I lean towards this type of research).

In terms of being overall drawn to quantitative research, the module had mentioned that quantitative research allows for the researcher to maintain an objective and impartial point of view through the way the research is conducted, including identifying variables and measuring the relationships appropriately. From previous lessons, I developed an understanding that when doing research, it should be objective and impartial, as this prevents bias and misrepresentation of data from happening.

• ashe7470 says:

I’m leaning towards qualitative research. From my interpretation, qualitative research is more exploratory and it doesn’t have to stick to the main point, which allows more freedom as a writer. I can also address topics that are hard to quantify, such as opinions or what motivates a student behavior.

I believe the last research paper I wrote was in 2008. It was a casual- comparative research paper for a cost-accounting course. The process, as I remembered, was to come up with a hypothesis and then find sources to support my claim. I felt that the paper was persuasive, but I don’t believe I learned much from writing the paper, and it was not a very engaging experience for me. Maybe this was due to my approach towards writing the paper.

• nord7527 says:

Hi Ross!

I agree with how you stated that you had more freedom as a writer with qualitative research. I lean towards that research method as well.

• cox7526 says:

Hi Ross,
          Good point on freedom and the power of persuasive writing.

I wonder if there would be a way to have definitive data and use correlational or casual-comparative IF like variables exist to raise awareness. Could prompt additional research.

• long5976 says:

I was initially leaning toward quantitative research, because I really like being able to look at numbers, trends and statistics and to be able to draw a conclusion from that. But I think qualitative research is important to use, and probably what I will end up using for my research project. Qualitative research seems more human like — by that I mean it can show outcomes of why people do things, and not just crunch it down to numbers. Outliers and non-measurable ideas can be explained or corrected with qualitative research. I’m wondering if there would be room to use both types of data in your research.

• nord7527 says:

Hi!

I was thinking this same question about if we can use both in our research, I sure hope so! I think that if we were it would bring a bigger insight into understanding our topics. I also like what you said about qualitative research being more “human like”, it was an interesting way to phrase it.

• treg6997 says:

I have a hard time with this one. I come from a science background and use both quantitative and qualitative research. If I am doing long term studies quantitative data is what I tend to learn towards (again depending on the study) , numbers are numbers they have no feelings, they have no need to lie. But a lot of my experiments rely on qualitative data, using observations to explain how something worked or didn’t work. “It turned green after day 4, and had a smell that can be described as rotten eggs because…..”
      Even though quantitative data can feel cold at times it can explain a lot of the “whats.” This opens the door to the “why’s,” which is where more of the qualitative research will come in.
      I think as a person I do have that innate feeling of wanting to know more, the why did this happen. I think that’s where Qualitative Research jumps in.
      But again it’s hard to say which way I lean. Qualitative I think brings more engagement, but I probably wouldn’t have asked the question had it not been for some type of Quantitative Research to give me the initial data. I feel a little like Vizzini from the Princess Bride here.

• arri8338 says:

Research I have done tends to be quantitive. I like to collect measurable data in order to get a clearer picture of the data results. More specifically, causal-comparative is my favorite because we see correlations between events that have certain outcomes all the time and it’s easy to assume to know what the variables are that are driving the outcome. However, what sometimes seems obvious can be totally wrong. There could be a different, possibly related, variable that is leading to the outcome. Research debunks “common beliefs” all the time by discovering the cause is not what was previously thought. To me, this is fascinating as it digs deeper to find other possible connections.

• grah6262 says:

The research methods I lean towards are quantitative and qualitative. Usually, when researching a topic I will review statistics first and then gather perceptions next. I typically combine the objective and the subjective in order to come to a conclusion. The idea of deductive and inductive reasoning is exciting and, to me, feels more thorough. This module shows us a variety of research methods and I am sure that some situation may require one or more of these methods to find a sound conclusion.

• To put it simply I lean towards Descriptive Research. It’s easier for people to fill out the form for you, but actions certainly speak louder than words and these other research tools seem more directed towards measuring what people are actually doing. If it were my money and time on the line I would back up Descriptive Research with Correlational Research and possibly run some experimentation after that to fine tune my results. I think Causal-comparative is something I lean less towards but I don’t know why I am saying that. Maybe I conflate it with Correlational Research to some degree. These things are all just segments on a spreed sheet to me. I need to get out of that mindset with education.

So I have experience with all four forms of quantitative research. I need to learn to act upon them in a classroom environment. I don’t think that I ever had names for these tactics, but they are all necessary in market research so I understand their use. Please help direct me if I am misunderstanding on any of these, but lets just start with my preferred method of research. Descriptive Research is my preferred method of research because you are specifically asking people about the facts. It is easy and I like easy. It isn’t the best method for attaining information. You can compile a spreadsheet and drill into how successful various campaign strategies shook out. This is a great source for certain information, but it can also be an extremely unreliable source of information if your teammates aren’t properly trained or incentivized. Some people like to skip a survey or check anything. I found the information is usually most reliable when everyone participating has some real skin in the game. Maybe there is a prize on the line? I found that people are unreliable when it comes to total recall on all the driving factors for why they make decisions. Somebody comes in to buy a car and you ask them, “what brought you in?” They’ll tell you they saw the promotion on the website. That doesn’t tell you how they got to your website. Let’s say it was our email system that drove them to the website to read about the promotion. Well when did we get their email? If they live near the business it could have been initially word of mouth or a sign that brought them in. It could be all the campaigning and brand development that you’ve spent years crafting. Maybe they kept a pen after entering a contest that made them check online. So the Descriptive Research is useless if isn’t a complete picture. You need to really flesh things out for it to be the only examination being utilized. I find this approach best suited for evaluating very basic information. 

In marketing we have contact management systems that account for all interactions with potential clients. We use this and a couple of analytical tools to get a more complete picture along side the information that customers provide. These tools not only measure your marketing efforts, but they can also be used to force people into sales funnels. We would use what is described here as Correlational Research. My interest specifically is that this helps automate communication. This makes several peoples jobs easier. So once you have identified that a customer has taken X,Y and Z actions. Let’s say a customer came in and submitted their contact information, then clicked through a retail email and ultimately spent 30 minute looking at a specific product only to walk away. If that is the case I want to send them another email specific to that product, or offer them a limited time incentive to come in. Maybe if they contact their salesperson than lunch is on us? Perhaps you could build an algorithm that segments people who have certain traits within your data to send a very pointed promotion to. Correlational Research is exciting because you feel like you’re setting up a Rube Goldberg Machine. You can’t wait till it springs and you snare someone. 

Causal-comparative research can be an important predictor for future behavior, so let’s say you hypothesize that people who rent a tool are more likely to purchase X amount of product from you in the future. Maybe their getting their feet wet and determining their comfort level with the product. Well measuring the success of the rental program should also take into consideration gross sales as a byproduct of the program. It could be that the program is a bust all around, or maybe these people need to be incentivized in other ways. Causal-comparative research can be an important determining factor in whether or not you shut a program down. If you’re not seeing the desired pattern then perhaps it’s time to go back to the drawing board and apply your efforts to a new strategy. 

Experimental Research can be pivotal in fine tuning your tactics. This can be used to drill down what specific messaging or artwork you should be using. In today’s digital environment conducting A/B experiments are easier than ever. Let’s say you have two strong sales messages that you could be promoting. You would do some quick Experimental Research by floating both messages to a small segment of a contact database. You set a rule that which ever messaging generates the most immediate traffic is by default the winning message for the day, and as such all other messaging will use this content for the remainder of your ad spend. It could be that different messages play differently with different demographics. It could differ depending on the time of year or day. So experimental research can keep your results unbiased.

I found the information in the Module text very interesting and useful here. In marketing we often go with what is the biggest bang for our buck, but in education we are interested in creating inclusive environments. I will probably need to cater my findings to those on the margins of my results to some extent.

• nord7527 says:

When thinking about research I typically lean towards qualitative for many reasons. I think that my mind wants to understand deeper the relationships between things and a lot of times there are many factors playing into how someone is acting or why a business is doing better. My mind also doesn’t do too well with only seeing numbers and data. From my understanding, qualitative research also helps you see and understand things that you can’t get numbers or data on. When collecting articles for a topic I am researching I have typically only gravitated towards qualitative because I do understand them more, personally I am excited to try to branch out and become more comfortable with qualitative research as well. I think when conducting research it is important to look at both methods because it will allow you to understand a topic fully.

• cox7526 says:

“When thinking about research I typically lean towards qualitative for many reasons. I think that my mind wants to understand deeper the relationships between things and a lot of times there are many factors playing into how someone is acting or why a business is doing better.”

This ^^

I have to wonder if I have selling myself short in not using numbers, but humans aren’t numbers, but we sure do like to measure every aspect of our lives!

I too find qualitative research more informative, even if not as objective.

• saku7197 says:

I lean toward qualitative research when it comes to studies in the educational field although quantitative research is useful up to a point. In quantitative research, the results are often based on generalized groups such as race, gender and age. It overlooks the fact each student is an individual. Just because they belong to a certain subset doesn’t mean they act, behave or respond in the same ways.

• onei3997 says:

In the past when I have written papers I tend to gravitate more toward the use quantitative research in proving a hypothesis. I suppose I cannot exactly explain why, just yet, I gravitate to the use of numbers as being able to explain examples in a concrete and objective matter-of-fact manner. This question is complex though. I have enjoyed anthropological studies in the past as well and it is fascinating to examine not just how many people do something a certain way or for how long or to what degree, but to also dive deeper on why. Depending on what the hypothesis is I believe both can be used in conjunction to validate a point to a higher level of understanding. When it comes to quantitative research, casual-comparative research seems to grab my attention the most. I suppose I am curious to know more about the correlations on how one situation may cause an effect in another situation. I believe many issues are complex and dependent on multiple variables. When it comes to personally conducting research though, I think I would enjoy performing qualitative research better. I am always curious to find commonalities in situations to better understand them and personal interpretation and experience are powerful and valid tools that provide a different degree of insight. Overall, this exercise makes me realize I have a lot to learn and grasp to be able to utilize research in the proper and most effective manner.

• onei3997 says:

• saff6944 says:

I 100% lean towards Qualitative Research. Though I like the structure and numerical aspect of Quantitative Research, qualitative is more important in the teaching profession. To examine why trends, values, or perceptions exist seems, personally, more interesting to pursue than measured relationships and identified variables. With that said, I may challenge myself and decide to move forward with quantitative research and get out of my comfort zone. I am interested in how quantitative research can be used to explore different aspects of education within my field of study (language arts and art) opposed to something qualitative. The type of qualitative research that most appeals to me is Correlational Research. Looking for a relationship between things is fairly exciting—the 3 possible outcomes (positive correlation, negative correlation, and no correlation) each have the potential to yield significant findings. For example, going into a research study whole-heartedly believing you’ll conclude with a positive correlation only to end up with a negative correlation or even no correlation, your pre-existing notions are thrown out the door and you’re left with a different outcome that is tangible, evidence-based, and challenging to your initial hypothesis. Module 1’s descriptions of the types of quantitative research were very helpful and I’m looking forward to learning more about those in qualitative research.

• cox7526 says:

I find that when examining articles for previous work on behavioral management related to speech disorders or environmental factors on learning most journals consisted on qualitative research. In a sense I find this a more holistic approach to an underlying problem.

I find the idea of quantitative research a bit intimidating as I haven’t used it outside of one statistics course and comparing numbers isn’t my forte. We do not improve a skill set by avoiding, so I would ultimately choose quantitative research.

Using a combination of questionnaires and experimental research may provide enough probes of information to determine how to best assist a struggling student.

• cox7526 says:

Action Research – (couldn’t find the topic for this specifically, so made two posts)

Methods of research used to to identify weakness within an organization or methodology. This should also be a plan that can intervene quickly to change outcomes.

• mcmu7019 says:

From personal reading experience, quantitative research can show results that are interesting and attention grabbing, and can be satisfying in that it will either prove or disprove a hypothesis. I feel that I can make more sense of the date quickly.

With the above being said, qualitative is the research tradition I tend lean towards. When I conduct any kind of (mini) study, I tend to use qualitative research. I read cases and observe experiences of individuals, instead of creating, or making sense of graphs and numbers. In the educational setting, this is especially true for me because of the individuality of students. Instead of trying to prove a hypothesis, I would want to learn from the participants’ individuality, broaden the scope of knowledge I possess, and be able to move freely within my research.

• reus7018 says:

I definitely lean towards quantitative research. I like the clarity and “black and white” that numbers bring to the table. In terms of type of quantitative research I would lean towards experimental research. I like the control that a researcher has when performing experiments. For example the article we had to read for class this week was an example of an experiment with a control and experimental group. One was exposed to the typical traditional methods of teaching while the other employed CBI. Students in both groups were then assessed by essay and giving a numerical value based on how well they wrote said essay. I followed along with this style of research well. I felt it was straightforward, easy to understand, and able to be replicated. All important in research.

• Tony DeSimone says:

When it comes to research reports, I usually look for quantitative research. I like to use descriptive and correlation all research to provide a conclusion based off of deductive reasoning. I feel that arguments are more sound and easier to support when done using deductive reasoning. I like to include a correlation research peace of evidence, because it allows you to argue with inductive reasoning. I believe that you can still get strong arguments out of inductive reasoning, but when done well, you can make an inductive argument sound like deductive reasoning when talking about correlation research.

If I am doing personal research, then I would still lean towards quantitative research but more casual-compartive. I would want to take prior research done and compare it to new research or compare two groups like in the module’s example. However, if you are doing research within the classroom or on students, then qualitative research would need to be employed also. It’s too hard to control every variable to make the research as controlled as possible, when the one variable that is most incontrolable is human. We are not calculated results, and do not even understand our own selves sometimes, so it is important to be mindful of emotions, backgrounds, cultures, and many other subjective variables when doing research, and also aware of how they can effect quantitative results.

• davi7593 says:

Hello All,

I tend to prefer causal-comparative research. I am fascinated with finding the hidden variable that is affecting the relationship. I find it to be the very significant since research is often funded by the wealthy, research findings can be “bought,” while other causal factors are overlooked.

3. alej1319 says:

Hi everyone,

4. cros8549 says:

Hi!
    My name is Samantha Cross (Sam for short, but never Sammy). I graduated from the University of Oregon with a B.A. in History in June of 2018. I decided to take a year off of school before starting a graduate program. During that year off I worked as a substitute teacher. While it was a great experience to have in the classroom, it manifested an itch to have my own classroom. I enrolled in this program to scratch that itch. I’ve also worked in a daycare; I love younger children and those crucial developmental ages, but my aspiration is to teach history to high school students. I want to offer a history education that I, and many other students, didn’t have. I’m excited for this program and this course to learn all that I can to become a competent and effective teacher.

5. davi7593 says:

Hello All,
    My name is Xavier, and I am originally from the Portland area. I am a nontraditional student as I moved to change careers over the past 5 years. I think that teaching is more my passion than my previous career and I am excited to get into it. I most recently worked as an instructional assistant in a special education private school. I worked in a high needs class for 2 1/2 years and basically burned out. I still love teaching, just not in special ed. My purpose for taking this course is to learn the academic theory side of teaching that drives change and development in the field. I ultimately want to grow as a person so I can teach kids and model to them how to have a growth mindset.

6. davi7593 says:

The research traditions I tend to lean towards are correlational research and causal-comparative research. This is based upon the limited research I have conducted to find cutting edge medical interventions for children with autism. When I look at primary sources I mainly look at the abstract to determine if it is useful, then I scan the entire report (if it’s available to read) to see if there is deeper information available. In some cases I cannot follow the medical terminology, so I try to get the gist of what is being conveyed. I use a lot of secondary sources to interpret what is being said in primary sources since they are usually written for parents, rather than researchers. I lean towards correlational research and causal-comparative research, because it is the primary method I have learned the most in helping my kids with medical issues.

While I think that quantitative research is useful in the medical field area, I have qualms with the slowness in establishing new protocols and medicines as safe and effective. The problem of establishing new protocols as safe lies in the fact that in order for this to happen millions of dollars must be spent on studies using very large samples. The main parties that have the financing and interest in these kinds of studies are the government and the pharmaceutical industry. Leadership of the government agency that oversees the pharmaceutical industry (The Food and Drug Administration) is staffed by former executives from the pharmaceutical industry, who are also stakeholders. As such, large scale quantitative research is conducted for the interests of the pharmaceutical industry, which tends to be selling more product and evading liability. Hence, studies that could provide valuable information but don’t suit the aforementioned interests are rarely funded.

On the other hand, I have had many positive learning experiences with smaller scale quantitative research, particularly with correlational research and causal-comparative. The conclusions some studies reach regarding the use of supplements on autistic children with similar co-morbid disorders I found very helpful in helping me manage my son’s behaviors. Causal comparative research I find very effective because medical issues related to children with autism tend to be multifactorial. For the above mentioned reasons, my current leanings are what they are. I realize that may change as I get further into education based research.

7. Pingback: Homepage