We will use this page to discuss our thoughts on essay measures.
Here are some resources regarding writing effective essay prompts:
- Simple explanation and visuals of scoring guides from University of Illiinois.
- Examples of good prompts from Chambersburg, PA school district.
- Strategies to help students work on essays from Glencoe/North Carolina.
- Examples of writing prompts (including foreign languages) from About.com
These rubrics/scoring guides can also be used in designing Performance Assessments…
- Here is the Rubistar link. I hope everyone signs up for this…
- Here is another rubric website. Thanks Patrick LaSalle for sharing!
- Here is a great description of Scoring Rubrics: What and When by Barbara Moskal.
- Here are some scoring generators we can also use: from Teach-nology from Kathy Schrock
Tasks for this Module:
Here are the tasks for our Essay module this week:
Due by 2/12:
- Read Ch. 6 in Stiggins and additional resources on this page. They will help guide you in making quality essays and scoring guides. Please feel free to post any additional resources you encountered that you found useful.
- Create (MAKE) an essay prompt and scoring guide. Be sure to write (TAKE) your exemplar before writing the scoring guide. 🙂
- Make two selected response items reflecting the salient ideas from Ch. 6 and post them on this page.
Due by 2/13:
- Print one copy of your prompt, exemplar, and scoring guide and bring to class on 2/13.
- We will partner up and critique (BREAK) each others’ essays.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.