For our final class on November 22 you will have two tasks to complete.
Here is a link to the slide show on Learning and Gaming.
1. Game Analysis Assessement 6
Due: November 22 in class. Jesse has office hours in the lab to help you with your analysis and games during the day 9-5 You can use the time to work on your project in the lab.
Description: For this project, you will evaluate a game as a learning environment. The goal of this assignment is for you to identify and develop an understanding of a gaming environment as a quality learning environment.
Jesse has created a page to select games from. It includes games you can play for free and reviews. You can select a game from the following link. Do your best to find a game that is connected to your content area. If you have a question about we
Your project will consist of two items:
- A multimedia Google Doc
- A 15 minute roundtable presentation in class during which you present your analysis to a small group of your colleagues.
- A multimedia Google Doc. Your analysis should be a combination of text and pictures or video clips of your game. Instead of using text to describe how something looks, you can find a picture. You can find video clips of your game on YouTube or add images of your game.
It might take the following form:
Criteria: The project should address three essential areas that are identified in the scoring guide below-they can be headings.
- Design and Goals of the Game
- The Game Environment
- Design and Goals of the Game Standard: Explain and evaluate the overall design and goal of the game. Be as specific as you can. Remember to make as many connections and observations related to the game as a learning environment. To explicitly connect learning principles to gaming it’s important to use the language of the discipline, to do this you will:
1.1 include a minimum of five specific terms or principles and or chapter learning principles used in Why Don’t Students Like School. They might include terms like:
1.2 In addition, you must identify five Gaming and Learning Principles in your game. Link here to see them.
- The Game Environment: Evaluate the game environment design. Essential Questions would be:
2.1 Is designed effectively to meet the goals of the game?
2.2 Can I access important support information?
2.3 Are the controls easy to use?
- Improvements: Identify aspects of the learning environment that could be improved and ways to improve them. Have a critical eye and be specific.
Assessment 7: Book Club for The Importance of Being Little. Please read the book as though you were preparing for a book club discussion. You are responsible for leading the discussion for the chapter next to your name.
Chapter 2 Megan
Chapter 4 Ana
Chapter 6 Adam
Chapter 8 Amiel
Chapter 9 Tawny
Chapter 10 Johanna
You are required to bring a contribution to the potluck bring, anything you would like. I will bring a main course. Looking forward to it.