A question that comes up a lot is how to embed various kinds of web-based interactive tools, videos, etc. into a post. Well, unfortunately by default WordPress doesn’t allow these at all, with the exception of a few specific (popular) video sites like youtube and vimeo. I wrote a previous post about how to embed video clips from these sites, so I won’t cover that here.
But, thanks to a new plugin installed on the COE Blog Server (called Artiss Code Embed), you can now embed code snippets from *any* site or tool right in your blog posts. For example, here is a Google Map embedded using the plugin:
Here are the steps to accomplish something like this:
- Copy the ’embed’ code you want to have display on your blog. To get the embed code for a Google Slideshow:
- When editing your Slideshow, go to the ‘File’ menu and choose ‘Publish to the web…’.
- Click on the tab for ‘Embed’, choose any settings you want (you can always change these later, by hand), and then click ‘Publish’.
- The code you need to copy will be in the field.
- In WordPress, create a new Post or Page.
- At the top right of the screen, click on the little ‘screen options’ tab, and check the box for ‘Custom Fields’. Note: you only have to do this step once.
- In the Custom Fields section below your edit post field, click on ‘Add Custom Field’.
- Paste the ’embed’ code (from step 1) into the ‘Value’ field. In the ‘Name’ field, put in the name CODE1.
- Click on ‘Update’ to save the Custom Field data.
- Somewhere in the body of your post or page, type ‘%’ followed by the ‘CODE1’ label, followed by another ‘%’.
- Publish the post, and view it (you won’t be able to see the embedded item on the editing screen, but it will show up properly when you view the post).