I just found and activated a neat new plugin on the COE wordpress server.. the ability to embed a document or presentation right in a post. It’s a neat little plugin called the Google Doc Embedder. The name is a little misleading, though.. it doesn’t actually work with Google Docs. What it does is allow you to directly display any MS Office document, presentation, or .pdf file you upload using the media browser (instead of just displaying a link to the file). Here’s the process:
- Upload your document (e.g. .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pdf) using the Media Browser upload tool. Remember that right now the COE wordpress server has a limit of 8MB on each uploaded file (we’re still working on trying to change that).
- Copy the address of the uploaded file. It will be at the bottom of the window that appears after you finish uploading (labeled File URL):
- Create a new post, and click on the ‘G’ icon on the toolbar at the top of the editing window to access the Google Document Embedder:
- Paste the address of the file into the ‘File URL’ field below:
- You can probably leave all of the other settings blank. Just click ‘Insert’ and publish the post! Your Powerpoint presentation or Word Document should now be viewable right on your blog post.